Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Q&A #1


I came across this Christmas Q&A on Ot and Et's blog and I decided I wanted to give it a shot. There are 6 questions but I realized I wrote a whole blog post' worth for just the first question, so I'm going to just break up the questions and answer one per day. I've been pretty distracted these days nesting and getting fat and whatnot so hopefully this will give me some much needed brain stimulation.

1. What makes Christmas such a special holiday for you and your family?

For me, Christmas means food and gifts. I know that sounds like a weak and shallow answer but it's the truth! I think we ALL feel that way.... I'm just not ashamed to admit it.

My parents are divorced and my giant family is scattered all over the place- so seeing them around the holidays is pretty iffy- You just don't hold your breath about seeing family around here and you learn to get used to seeing certain family members every three to four years- sometimes longer.

Also, my husband lost his job shortly after we got married so our first Christmases together meant no gifting for anyone, no tree, no decorations and sighing and crying trying to figure out where we would get the gas money to travel to attend any Christmas we've been invited to. I know you're thinking "Well Jesus is the reason for the Season. Don't feel bad," right? True, but it's still kind of hard to hold your head up and be cheerful when everyone is gathered around the tree handing you gift after gift and you've got nothing to give in return- not even a card or candy cane. We were so broke.
In fact, last year our decor consisted of a Christmas tree drawn on a piece of paper and put in a picture frame, set on a TV tray with a string of lights and random ornaments bunched around it. What little gifts we were able to give were wrapped in newspaper or recycled gift bags from our wedding and placed under the tree. It was cute and kinda sad at the same time.

But things have gotten so much better for us over the past year! God has been throwing some crazy awesome blessings our way. This is our first year to decorate our home and we're finally going to be able to give gifts! I'm going to be able to cook Christmas dinner and we should be able to travel with no problem! So THIS Christmas is going to be super special for me.

So what about you?? What makes Christmas such a special holiday for you and your family?

Here are some photos from one of my super broke Christmases about three years (and 80 less pounds) ago. I tried to make up for my lack of material gift giving by giving the gift of belly dance! We had a blasty blast this night.
Me & Sis
Sis, mom, me, aunt



My aunt trying to figure out finger symbols.

My niece mastering the zils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't by shy, you dirty little stalker you. Leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...