Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

5 years of cheap awesome DIY costumes

I love to dress up in costumes. I will look for any reason to wear one. In fact, I think if I lived in New York any other open minded place I would some sort of costume or themed outfit every day. I can't do that in this East Texas town- I'd get put in a mental institution real quick. So here's some of my costumes from the past five years. Not all of them are Halloween costumes.

Renaissance Faire 2012: As the owner and director of this faire I knew I had to look good for this- really good. I scored this gown from Etsy for $150!!! The gown came with the French hood and matching purse.... for $150!!! The undershirt (Etsy) was $17 and the necklace was $1 ($1 Jewelry Store). Petticoat and boots worn under the gown were my own and I had to buy the cape from one of my vendors (Briar Patch Garb) for $65 because of the HORRIBLE drop in temperature that day. I got pregnant shortly after the I purchased the gown and the weight gain and growing bump was already taking it's toll on the dress. I cut the sleeves off the gown and that gave me so much freedom in movement. Later as the bump continued to grow, I sewed one the of sleeves into the back of the dress to let it out.

Steampunk Christmas Ball 2011: I threw a Steampunk Christmas Ball as a fundraiser for my Renaissance Faire. The only thing I bought for this costume was some decorative gears. The skirt came from a bridesmaids gown. The corset belt was from my Mrs. Lovette costume and I just added some chain to it. The vest was a jacket that was too small for me- I painted the trim gold, added some gears and lace.

Halloween 2011- I partnered with a local coffee shop and threw a giant Halloween bash/ zombie walk/ fundraiser. I dressed as Autumn. I bought a long crushed velvet skirt from Salvation Army, cut off some length and used that material to make straps for the dress. Then I covered the dress in autumn leaves picked up from various dollar stores. My makeup was AWESOME!!! Too bad this is the only photo that was taken of me. I was too busy giving "zombie makeovers" all night, I couldn't leave my little corner to pose for photos.

New Years 2011: My first Steampunk party. I wasn't even that familiar with steampunk at the time. We were invited to this party the day before. I looove a good challenge. The only thing purchased for these costumes were swim goggles (painted gold), gold paint and some chain.

The next two costumes: I lost these photos when my laptop crashed last year. Sad face.
2009 Homemade Superhero Girl
2010 Mrs Lovette from Sweeny Todd

Halloween 2008: I had just lost about 40 lbs (just diet and exercise) and I was ready to dress up as something a little more feminine and sexy. Heh, so I went as Amy Winehouse. That costume didn't cost a dime. My mom is a fan of wigs and hair pieces so I took two of her old pieces and made my own Amy wig and just scrounged up the rest of the outfit: tattered white undershirt, skinny jeans and back stilettos. I even drew on some crappy tattoos with Crayola marker.

Halloween 2008: This was my 2008 "day time" costume. I didn't feel that going as Amy Winehouse while working at Texarkana's largest and most prestigious banks was appropriate so I dressed up as a "personal" secretary. The dress was from my own vintage collection, the wig belonged to my mom and I borrowed the glasses from a friend.

Halloween 2007: I wish I could find more photos of this outfit. If you can't tell, I'm Hunter S. Thompson! The only thing purchased for this costume was the shirt and the fly swatter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't by shy, you dirty little stalker you. Leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...